I was about to quit... [Filmfare, 1991 May]

While she kept dazzling on the sets of Lamhe in London, tragedy struck her family know India. Her father, Ayyappan, had breathed his last. When Sridevi arrived at the Bombay airport to catch her connecting flight to Madras, Boney Kapoor and Satish Kaushik recieved her. Satish recalls that the woman who had landed that day was not the diva but a daughter in mourning: "She was crying like a child. I have always looked up to her as this iron-clad star ruling Bollywood. One was always in such awe of her but that day my heart went out to her. She appeared so vulnerable that you wanted to hold her and protect her."

Speaking to FILMFARE months later in a cover story titled "I was about to quit", she poured her heart out: "It was the biggest emotional shock I had experienced. My father had been the closest to me. It was he who encouraged me, guided me. Though from a distance, he kept a watch on my work. He was my source of strength. When he died, I felt totally lost. I was so low that I considered quitting films to be with my mother."

Comments

Popular Posts