Love story of '88! [Movie, 1989 January]

It was January 1989. The MOVIE team was an ecstatic bunch. Sridevi and Aamir Khan were in the house, prepping for the cover shoot. This New Year issue of the magazine was going to be a singular casting coup with the coming together of India's biggest female megastar and the nation's new heartthrob. MOVIE editor Dinesh Raheja was chasing a dynamic on the cover that would spellbind thr readers, and ace lens-man Rakesh Shrestha was designing the perfect compostion.

As the lights blazed, Sridevi and Aamir took position, both resplendent in white, the Khan looking visibly star-struck, the Devi smiling softly. The team looked at the frame with intrigue. Suddenly, Rakesh lowered his camera, a frown creasing his forehead. He turned to glance at Dinesh who noticed it too. Everyone in the team stared at a technical snag that no one had foreseen -- Sridevi was towering above Aamir in the frame. The actress was not only taller than him but was also standing in her stilletos.

The room turned silent. Everyone wondered how to share the predicament with Sridevi. What if they ended up irking the Queen Bee? What if she stormed out, ditching this highly anticipated cover? What if she never shot with MOVIE again? The team stood in daze. As Dinesh began carefully formulating the words in his mind, he suddenly caught a glint in Sridevi's eyes. The expression on her face conveyed that she had grasped what was going on. Without uttering a word, she took off her heels, flung them to the side and posed again. Everyone took a few seconds to register what had transpired. The frame conformed to their vision now; Aamir appeared taller. As Rakesh clicked away, the team breathed a sign of relief, and Dinesh watched the cover he had envisioned taking birth before his eyes.

But when the magazine hit the stands, a strange alchemy had happened -- all eyes were on the diva. Sridevi had somehow stolen the thunder from her taller co-star.

Editor Dinesh Raheja says:

"...When I became the Editor of MOVIE magazine, I told Rakesh that I would like to bring Aamir Khan and Sridevi together for my first cover. He drove with me to both the stars and we made what seemed like impossible, possible. We shot some beautiful Sridevi and Dimple covers together and we worked on some amazing shoots for our annual issues, including one where we got director’s to shoot their favourite muses – Mukul Anand shot Sridevi, Dharmesh shot Karisma etc..."

I was a pushover till ...

Excited to be appointed as the editor of MOVIE magazine, I wanted to begin with a splash. So I approached overnight sensation Aamir and reigning diva Sridevi to pose jointly ...and surprise surprise they agreed! I was ecstatic.

MOVIE had recently appointed a new duo of expensive designers (read that as SOBO snobs). When we came back from the darkroom after seeing the fab pics, they announced, "We have decided to go with a Sridevi solo cover."

After recovering from their salvo, I politely but vehemently underlined that as the Editor I would be the one to decide who will be on the cover. But they began discussing the details of the solo cover with each other as if I weren't present in the room. 

One of them had a big nose (like Pinocchio) so I angrily shot back, 'You keep your big nose out of it." And she was left gaping open-mouthed -- the duo backed off with their tails between their legs!

It was the one time I was happy I was rude.

Critic Anupama Chopra says:

"I remember meeting her [Sridevi] again at a photo-shoot for Movie magazine. It was my first job as a film journalist. Once again, we were at the Centaur, shooting her and Aamir Khan together for the cover. I remember whispering something to my editor Dinesh Raheja about how a certain pose or angle would look better. She noticed our interaction. She asked exactly what was wanted and then proceeded to deliver. I was gobsmacked. This, I concluded, is what stardom looks like!"

Aamir Khan during a conversation with HINDUSTAN TIMES in 2018, confided with Boney Kapoor about how much he loved Sridevi, she was the number one actress for him:

"I've been an absolutely huge fan of Sridevi. She was my number 1 favourite. I told Boney [Kapoor] fairly recently that when I was new in the industry, a magazine asked me to do a shoot with Sridevi. I can't tell you how nervous I was in my heart. I was so afraid that when I would come in front of her, she would understand in two seconds that this boy is in love with her. I was smitten, totally."

Comments

Popular Posts